Monday, August 1, 2011

the FIRST& worst MULLET I've ever cut.

It was halfway through my time at La'James International College (that's where I went for hair school) and by this time everyone knew me and my personality and how bad experiences to me and my humor turn out to be funny.  So, I am sitting in our classroom and over the speaker I hear "Brittany Bluhm Please come up front for a client." and of course I HATED hearing that because you never know who's hair you are gonna do. (a lot of times I think my teachers enjoyed giving me the sketchy people to get a good laugh- Shout out to my teachers. Thanks!)  

Anyway, like I was saying you never know who's hair you're going to do. Are they gonna be nice or mean? Will this be the cat lady? Will they be human? Is it gonna be a doll? (yes..some guy brought a doll) SO, You just NEVER know. 



 I get up and head to the front of the waiting area and my teacher has a smile on her face... and I just knew I was gonna have a story. I open the door for my surprise and there is a lady in her 50's sporting a HUGE MULLET!


   The first thing I do after I see her is start praying in my head because there is NO WAY I want to "freshen" up this cut or just "trim" it!


Training to be a professional you better be professional so I get my act together.......







 (this is not her, but very close! just take away the red hair and replace it with gray)
      


   
   So, I take her back to my area. She sits in my chair. I swallow hard and ask,  "What are we doing today?"

 She reaches into her pocket and right then I get a GLIMMER OF HOPE and I start to believe that she actually brought a picture and wants a NEW LOOK!

      "GOODBYE MULLET and HELLO NEW CUTE HAIR STY--- what?! NO!" *PANICK ATTACK BEGINS*  "That's not a picture of a cute hairstyle.....that's a CLIPPER GAURD!"







YES!..... a # 2 clipper guard. Do you know how short # 2 clipper guard is?! IT'S 1/4"...I REPEAT.. ONE FOURTH.....INCHES!

 
 My eyes FILL with tears as she tells me she wants the TOP part of her hair to be SHAVED the length of this #2 guard.


 I say to her....." The 2 guard is really SHORT. Are you sure this is what you want?"

 she says what I feared "YES".

So, I do what you should never do when cutting someones hair and do opposite because the #2 guard is SHORT. I take a #6 guard which is 3/4"  and I take the first chunk of hair of the top of her head. I stop and tell her to look in the mirror at the length and she says " THAT'S TOO SHORT!"

WAIT! What?!?!.....She wanted me to just do a #2 guard which is WAYYYY Shorter than what I just did. So I tell her what all just happen, how I did the 6 guard and she doesn't believe me! and....the client is ALWAYS right....So there I am. In shock...and I reason with her and she tells me she wants it a little bit longer than that. So, we move it up to a #8 guard ---> ONE INCH.

 At this point she is a HAPPY CAMPER.

Me on the other hand, Not so much. From where my chair and station are
I have a good view of my classroom. So I can see all my friends watching...some holding back laughter...some taking pictures... the nice ones watching with sympathy and I get emotional and I begin to CRY!..I am wiping tears away from my eyes before they RUN DOWN MY FACE!

 Maybe you are thinking...Why would you cry about this? Its because when she goes to the store or she goes to her best friends house they are gonna ask who did your hair? and she is going to tell them..................."BRITTANY FROM LA'JAMES!"


I wont have any CLIENTS! My reputation!

So as I am being humbled I'm thinking "I did this! I just gave this lady a GIANT MULLET.Worse than before. Why do I do hair? I didn't come here to give a GROWN lady- a MULLET! yes, maybe a Emo girl that wants a "stylish" one, or a teenage boy that wants to be funny... But not HER!



Do you know what this lady looked like when she left La'James International Beauty School?










    (This is not her either. But I PROMISE. This is EXACTLY what it looked like!)

And I wish that I made this all up....But FOR REAL- this is what the "CUTE NEW
HAIR STYLE" turned out to be.


My advice to you today is: 1. Stay away from the mullet and 2. ask your hair stylists if they have any good ideas of what would look good on you.


Life is not so lovely in Iowa with Mullets,
Brittany




.

1 comment:

  1. L.O.L.

    I canNOT believe you never before told me this story.

    Wowza!

    ReplyDelete